Taybus Vintage Vehicle Society photograph gallery: Dundee Buses in the 20th century

This collection of 100 photographs was compiled in October 2010 as part of Taybus Vintage Vehicle Society's contribution to a transport exhibition which took place in Dundee's Central Library.

Click on any photograph to view an enlarged copy. Use the controls on each enlarged version to manage the slideshow feature.

Dundee first. Dundee was the first Scottish city, and one of the first in Britain, to operate a trolley bus service. It ran from 5 September 1912 until 13 May 1914, although at that time they were actually known as “railless trolley cars”. Two trolley buses, numbered 67 and 68, operated the short 1.25 mile experimental route between Strathmartine Road and Forfar Road. Pictured is trolley bus number 67 close to the Fairmuir Post Office on Clepington Road. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT20) 002 Solid wheels. Two trolley buses operated the short 1.25 mile service between Fairmuir and Maryfield from 1912 to 1914. Instead of being guided by rails they had solid wheels which allowed them greater freedom of movement as long as they didn’t stray too far from the pair of overhead power lines. Pictured is a front view of trolley bus, or car, number 67 at the east end of Clepington Road with its driver and conductor looking on. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT19) The Stouries. The trolley buses which operated along Clepington Road were nicknamed “The Stouries” because of all the dust from their solid wheels on the generally poor road surface in dry weather. The experimental service only lasted for 20 months due to a combination of low demand and damage to the road surface. Trolley buses 67 and 68 saw further service in Halifax after the war. Pictured is trolley bus number 68 with its destination set for Fairmuir. Motor buses. Dundee’s first motor buses were introduced in 1921 with four Thornycroft J buses for services to Broughty Ferry Esplanade. From 1927 Dundee Corporation Tramways and Motors bought 20 Leyland PLSC1 Lions which had two doors and seating for 29 passengers. Pictured in this busy scene at the top of Dundee’s Reform Street is bus number 6, TS 6254, which entered service on 7 January 1927 and was sold in 1937, running to Dalkeith Road. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT31) Twenty Lions. In 1928 “Dundee Corporation Tramways” became “Dundee Corporation Transport” in recognition of a growing bus fleet. Twenty Leyland PLSC1 Lions entered service between 1 January 1927 and 8 August 1928 with an additional eight Lion LT1s in 1929/30. Pictured at the start of the 1930s are the twenty Lions, their drivers and conductors behind the Caird Hall in an area that would soon become long-associated with Dundee’s buses. Eight more Lions. In 1929 another eight Leyland Lion buses were added to the fleet. However this time they were LT1s as opposed to the previous 20 PLSC1s. Pictured is number 23 TS8415 which entered service on 31 December 1929 and is operating a joint service with the Dundee, Broughty Ferry & District Tram Company. This bus was transferred to the War Department in 1940 but returned in 1945. It was finally withdrawn from service in 1947. Dundee’s first double-deckers. In 1931/32 Dundee bought 14 Leyland Titan TD1s, five of which were loaned to London Transport from October 1940 until May 1941. These buses were bought to replace the Dundee to Monifieth trams and the last ones were withdrawn in 1949. Pictured in Lochee Road Central Garage and Depot during the 1930s are, from left, Lion PLSC1 7 TS6255, Titans number 42 TS9124, 40 TS9122, 39 TS9121 and 38 TS9120. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT26) From Lions to Tigers. After purchasing 28 Leyland Lions from 1926-1929, two Leyland Tiger TS1s were bought in 1931 after a successful trial period. These buses could seat 31 passengers and they were bodied by Dickson (Dundee). Numbered 29 and 31 in the Corporation bus fleet, both buses were requisitioned by the War Department in 1940. Pictured is Leyland Tiger TS1 number 29 TS9114 which subsequently passed to Meffan’s of Kirriemuir in 1943. Daring Dundee. Five Thornycroft Daring DD buses, bodied by Metro-Cammell, were added to Dundee’s existing fleet of fourteen Leyland Titan double-deck buses in 1932. Numbered 49-53 these 48 seat buses remained in service in the city until 1947. Pictured on the far left at Dundee’s Lochee Road/Bell Street Central Garage and Depot is Thornycroft bus number 53 TS9869 along with a collection of other buses and a classic car. Spick and span. Eight AEC Regent buses were bought in 1932/33 with three different body styles. Others were added in 1936 (3), 1938 (4) and 1939 (1). Pictured here being cleaned in Dundee’s Central Garage and Depot, built to hold all its trams and buses but never fully used, is AEC Regent number 59 TS9861 which was originally intended as AEC’s 1931 Olympia Show exhibit. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT21) Doubles and singles. An amazing line-up of eight double-deck buses and seven single deckers in Dundee’s Lochee Road/Bell Street Central Garage and Depot. At the front on the left is AEC Regent number 61 MV2271, an ex-AEC demonstrator which was trialled around Dundee in June 1932 and bought by them in December 1932. On the right is Leyland PLSC1 Lion 18 TS7525 which entered service on 8 August 1928 and became a tower wagon in 1938. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT14) Daimler Demonstrators. Two Daimler CH6 demonstrators were hired by the Corporation Transport Department between May 1931 and January 1933. They were subsequently purchased as number 62 CG1393 and number 63 VC6779. Not so lucky is the Thornycroft Demonstrator CG1126 pictured en route to Barnhill which, despite being painted in to the standard Corporation livery, wasn’t added to the fleet. Thornycroft returns. The first four single-deck buses bought by Dundee in 1921 were Thornycroft Js. Having tried both Leyland and Daimler buses one more Thornycroft single-deck bus was bought for the fleet in 1933, this time the Cygnet. With dual-purpose seating for 29, and bodied by Pickering, number 65 TS9864 could also be used as a coach and had a sliding roof. It was renumbered 8 in 1936 and finished its service days in West Hartlepool. Queue for a Q. In August 1935 this AEC Q, bodied by Weymann, was demonstrated in Dundee and subsequently purchased by them in September 1935. Number 1 YJ2803 is pictured in the City Square when new and it is certainly attracting quite a lot of attention. This bus had 38 seats and a sliding door whereas numbers 2 YJ2800 and 3 YJ2801, bought in September 1936, only had 37 seats and an open entrance/exit. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT12) Q inside. Following the purchase of AEC Q number 1 YJ2803 in September 1935, AEC Q numbers 2 YJ2800 and 3 YJ2801 arrived in September 1936. The engine is mounted sideways behind the driver/front axle and its position is indicated by the long bench seat. Also visible in this rare interior view of number 2 is the open door configuration it shared with number 3 rather than the sliding door which featured on bus number 1. Dundee goes Daimler. Having tried two Daimler CH6s from 1931, Dundee bought 30 Daimler COG6s with bodies by Metro-Cammell (as pictured here), Cowieson (Glasgow), Dickson (Dundee) and Weymann between 1936 and 1939. Pictured is Daimler 65 YJ2792 which operated in service from 1936 until 1953 after which it became a driver trainer and tree-lopper before being sold in 1966. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT28) Thirty COG5s. A total of 30 Daimler COG5s were bought during 1936 (3), 1937 (15) and 1938 (12) bodied by English Electric, Cowieson (Glasgow) and Dickson (Dundee). Pictured is number 86 YJ5893, bodied by English Electric which was renumbered 26 in 1950 and finally withdrawn from service in 1958. The livery applied to these vehicles changed during their years in service and some were rebuilt with rubber window surrounds. Daimler COG5s. After a brief dalliance with a Thornycroft Cygnet (1933) and three AEC Qs (1935/36) Dundee bought 30 Daimler COG5 single-deck buses between 1936 and 1938. Pictured is an interior view of number 6 YJ2799 which was bodied by English Electric and had 36 very plush seats and wonderful ceiling detail but lacked a centre door. This bus was requisitioned by the War Department in 1940 and later went to Edinburgh Corporation in 1942. From Lions to towers. Of the twenty Leyland PLSC1 Lions bought by Dundee, which entered service between 1 January 1927 and 8 August 1928, all bar two had been sold by 1938. However numbers 1 TS6249 (1 January 1927) and 18 TS7525 (8 August 1928) were converted to tower wagons numbers 1 and 2 respectively for tram wire work. Both of these converted vehicles were subsequently withdrawn from service in 1951. Parcels on wheels. A familiar sight in the city was this pre-World War 2 hand barrow used for collecting and delivering parcels. This barrow was presented to Dundee Museum in June 1981 having been restored by Tayside Regional Council Transport Department. Pictured from left are Martin Cowan (first year apprentice electrician), Transport Department General Manager Mr A Strachan and Mr J D Boyd, Dundee Museum and Art Galleries. COURTESY OF THE COURIER, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT25) Daimler doubles. After a four year break Dundee bought sixteen Daimler CWA6 double-decker buses in 1943 (4), 1944 (10) and 1945 (2). Once again a number of different body styles were used by Massey (4), Northern Counties (8), Duple (2) and Brush (2). Pictured is number Daimler CWA6 33 YJ7958, renumbered 152 in 1950 and then 82 in 1953, at the Shore Terrace bus station. The ‘M’ plate signifies that this bus was based at the Maryfield Depot. Regal singles. Nine years after having last bought single deck buses Dundee bought two AEC Regals in 1947. Bodied by Weymann they had a rear door and sat 35 passengers. Pictured in July 1954 is Regal YJ9124 number 1 in William Street after some sort of incident that has attracted the attention of bystanders, decanted passengers and the local constabulary. This bus was withdrawn from service in 1960 and passed to the Wakefield Shirt Company. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT30) Back to single Daimlers. In addition to two AEC Regals Dundee also bought fifteen Daimler CVD6 single deck buses bodied by Weymann (5) and Brush (10) between 1947 and 1951. Pictured is number 4 YJ9127 with Weymann body which was delivered in 1947 and withdrawn from service in November 1965 to become a driver trainer. Also pictured is number 14 BTS494 with Brush bodywork which was new in 1951 and withdrawn in 1968. More Daimler doubles. Having bought sixteen Daimler CWA6 double deck buses from 1943-1945, Dundee added three CWD6s in 1946 and twenty CVD6s in 1947. The CVD6s were bodied by Northern Coachbuilders and could seat 56 passengers. Pictured in the High Street in April 1960 is Daimler number 48 YJ9052 which was renumbered 348 in 1966 and sold soon thereafter. Note that the telephone box is for Corporation Transport Department staff only. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT27) Adding ads. At first sight this photo of 1947 Regent III number 64 YJ9137 may appear unremarkable. However it was taken to highlight the fact that advertisements had been added to Corporation buses since 1950, sadly covering the “Dundee” part of the bus livery. The destination above the platform was a post-war addition and the The “Cowan-Ad” label is a reference to the agency that sold space on buses in Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow. AEC Regent IIIs. In 1948 Dundee bought ten AEC Regent III double deck buses fitted with Metro-Cammell bodies and seating 56 passengers. Pictured at Shore Terrace is Regent number 64 YJ9137 which was being used for driver training duties. This bus was renumbered 114 in 1967 and sold in 1968. Note the once-familiar green clock unit closer to the Caird Hall where the conductors used to stamp their time cards to prove the proper time-keeping of the bus. Preserved Daimler. Following the purchase of 20 buses in 1947 a further 20 were added during 1949-51. Pictured is Daimler CVD6 127 AYJ379, the oldest Corporation bus known to survive, which entered service in 1951 and was withdrawn to the Museum Department in February 1973. Restored to an early post-war livery it became a familiar sight at Open Days held at the Dock Street bus depot from the 1970s and is now in the care of Dundee City Council. C’mon get aff! Dundee “clippie” George Duffus, in full conductress uniform, collects fares from the youngsters travelling on preserved Daimler number 127 AYJ379 which entered service in 1951. This bus was a familiar sight at the Open Days held at Dock Street depot from the 1970s. Taken in September 1990 this photograph also shows the beautifully restored interior of Dundee’s oldest preserved bus which is now in the care of Dundee City Council. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT02) Shore Terrace. Very quickly Shore Terrace became the main focus for catching Dundee buses and some tour buses as well. In this view from September 1951 note the large clock mounted on the far corner of the Caird Hall to help passengers and buses check the time. Mounted on the concrete bus shelters roofs are markers for each service number which are: outer 3, 4, 2, 8 & 9, 17, 1A & 1B and 19; inner 5, 7, 13, 15, 14, 16, 11 and 12. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT32)  Final CVD6s. Having already bought forty Daimler CVD6 double-deck buses between 1947 and 1951 a final batch of ten entered service in 1953. With Weymann bodies built to seat 56 passengers four of them survived until 1975 (numbers 70, 74, 78 and 79) becoming the last exposed-radiator Daimlers working in a Scottish fleet. Pictured is Daimler number 70 CTS629 at Shore Terrace beneath the magnificent Corporation Transport Department clock Another survivor. Almost alternating with Daimler purchases 19 additional AEC Regent IIIs were added during 1949-53. Amongst the batch of 8-foot wide Regents, with Alexander bodies, was number 137 CYJ252 which was bought out of service in 1975 and lovingly restored. It is possibly the oldest bus that transferred to any of the Scottish Regions in 1975. Photographed at Crawley, it was later sold and is the only privately-owned surviving “Corpy” bus. Daimler Freeline. In February 1953 this dual-door Daimler LRW377 took to Dundee’s streets to test a new type of bus for the city. This underfloor-engined bus was bodied by Duple for 30 sitting and 30 standing passengers and was exhibited at the 1951 Scottish Motor Show at Glasgow’s Kelvin Hall in Edinburgh Corporation livery. Unfortunately the heavy design was unpopular with many UK operators and Dundee instead chose to buy AEC Regal IV buses. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT22) Four IVs. In March 1953 Dundee received four AEC Regal IVs, bodied by Weymann with 44 seats and a door at the front. All four were converted for driver-only operation in 1970/71 and were withdrawn during 1971-74. Pictured is number 21 CTS530 in Crichton Street which was sadly cannibalised for spares by 1974. Number 20 CTS529 was unique in gaining a centre exit door in 1956 but it was modelled by Corgi in 1:50 scale without this change. Mind the steps. Taken in July 1953 this great view from the foot of Dundee’s Hilltown stretching across the River Tay to the Fife shoreline shows Dundee Corporation bus AEC Regent III number 144 AYJ374 passing the top of the Wellgate steps on it’s way into the city centre. A rebuilt version of the steps still remain but many of the buildings were demolished to make way for the Wellgate Centre which opened in the late 1970s. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT29) M for Maryfield. Built in 1953 number 78 CTS637 Daimler CVD6 had a body by Weymann, an 8.4 litre engine and could seat 56 passengers. Withdrawn from service in September 1973 it returned in 1974 before finally being sold in 1975 becoming one of the four last exposed-radiator Daimlers still working in a Scottish fleet. Pictured in the Stobswell area the ‘M’ above the driver’s cab denotes that it was operating from the former Mayfield Tram Depot. Dundee first. On 25 March 1954 experimental exact fare bus number 22 CYJ315 entered service. This AEC Regal IV, bodied by Alexander, was built as driver-only from new and featured an American Johnson fare box. The flat fare of 3d, in excess of the standard 2½d, and union requirements requiring a conductor to be present meant the experiment only lasted for a few months. The bus was later used as a coach and, at one stage, the centre door was panelled over. It was sold in 1974. THE LATE MICHAEL H. WALLER / COURTESY PETER WALLER Hidden radiators. 35 Daimler CVGs with Metro-Cammell bodies and 61 seats entered service in 1955 with their radiators hidden behind a “tin front” giving them a more modern look. Delivered in November number 184 ETS964 remained in service until 1977. Now with TVVS it has been modelled in 1:76 scale. Also pictured at Maryfield Depot is converted open-top Daimler Fleetline number 305 GYJ405G, the last Daimler in the fleet when it was sold in 1985. From London. In 1955 Dundee acquired ten AEC Regent ‘STL’ buses from London. They were the first AECs to be produced after the war and were delivered new to London Transport in 1945/46. Seating 56 passengers and bodied by Weymann they were the last ten STLs that operated in London. Pictured in Dock Street is Regent number 173 HGC221 (formerly London STL2688) which remained in service in Dundee until 1964 and was sold in 1965. More London buses. After acquiring ten AEC Regent ‘STL’ buses from London in 1955 Dundee returned a year later for thirty AEC Regent RTs for tram replacement work. Reputedly costing £1750 each these buses were built with Craven bodies in 1949-50 and sat 56 passengers. Pictured in 1956 is the first bus to Ninewells, number 220 JXC175 (RT1412) in Dundee’s High Street. Bus number 211 JXC222 (RT1459) is the subject of a 1:76 scale model. Before and after. In 1956 Dundee bought thirty AEC Regent RTs from London Transport. In this picture the buses on the left have been repainted into Dundee Corporation livery but the lone survivor on the right shows how the buses were when delivered with the London Transport fleet name painted over. From left is number 213 JXC223 (RT1460), 235 KGK766 (RT1507) and RT1503 KGK762 (would become number 233). All thirty were withdrawn in 1968/69. Albert Square. Taken in March 1956 this photograph certainly manages to fit in not only a great view but many different modes of transport and tram wires. Sadly most of the bus registration details are hidden from view except for, extreme left, double deck Daimler CVD6 number 134 BTS474 (new 1950/51, withdrawn 1970) and, on the right, single deck Daimler COG5 number 85 YJ5892 which was renumbered 25 in 1950 (new 1938, withdrawn 1958). COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT07) Maryfield minus trams. By around 1957, whilst the motor buses had taken over the garage, the tramlines were still in the cobbles and the overhead wires still present. On view are, from left, Daimlers number 30 YJ7955 (new 1943, renumbered 95 in 1950), number 24 YJ7980 (new 1944, renumbered 89 in 1950), number 29 YJ7954 (new 1943, rebuilt and renumbered 94 in 1950) and finally number 87 YJ7996 (new 1944, renumbered 87 in 1950). Daimler CVG6s. After a brief journey to London for 40 buses Dundee started buying new buses from Daimler. From 1956 to 1960 fifty-three CVG6 buses were added to the city fleet (the first six in 1956 being classed as CVG6DDs). All were to remain in the fleet until 1976-79 into the ‘Tayside’ era. Pictured is number 99 KTS99, new in 1960 with an Alexander body and seating for 65 passengers. Renumbered 105 in 1964 it was withdrawn from service in 1979. Daimler blues. In the five years from 1956 fifty-three Daimler CVG6 buses were bought by Dundee Corporation and all of them remained in the fleet after 1975 when control passed to Tayside Regional Council. Pictured in Dundee’s High Street is number 106 KTS98, new in 1960 and renumbered from 98 in 1964. Sadly even the chrome Daimler badge on the bonnet didn’t escape the dark blue paint of the Tayside livery. It was withdrawn from service in 1978. Light bulbs. A great view of the inside of one of Dundee’s “new buses” in January 1955 on what must have been quite a cold day judging by the clothing being worn by the conductress and passengers. Gone are the elaborate light fittings and intricate roof detail from the older buses and now it’s just bare light bulbs used to illuminate the interior. The Corporation bought 35 Daimler CVG6s in 1955 and this is likely to be one of their interiors photographed here. Fluorescent lighting. Daimler CVG6 number 180 ETS960 was bought new in 1955 with Metro-Cammell bodywork and seating 64 passengers to replace the Downfield-Blackness trams. It was the first bus to have its bare light bulbs replaced by fluorescent tubes and is pictured here in October 1960. This photograph was probably taken as it was prepared to be the Christmas bus with a large Council crest fixed to the front and lights fitted around its exterior. COURTESY OF THE COURIER, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT05) Christmas bus. Having bought some 88 Daimler CVG6 double-deck buses it was only natural that one of them would be selected as the Corporation’s Christmas Bus, a popular feature with passengers and public alike. New in 1955 number 180 ETS960 is pictured with a large Council crest fixed to the front above the destination panels and lights fitted around its exterior. It’s reported that it was an on-going struggle to keep the batteries charged! COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT08) Use the front door. Dundee had operated five AEC Regal IV single deck buses with front entrances since 1953. For one week in September 1960 a double-deck pre-production Leyland Atlantean demonstrator, bodied by Metro-Cammell and seating 78 passengers, was tested in the city. However no buses of this type were bought by the Corporation and it was only after further tests in 1963 that Daimler front door double deck buses were purchased. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT10) Royal Arch. Dundee’s Royal Arch was erected during 1849-1853 to commemorate a visit by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in 1844 who only viewed a wooden version at the time. In a state of disrepair it was sadly demolished in 1964 when the Tay Road Bridge was built. Pictured from left are Daimler CVG6s number 97 KTS97 (new in 1960 and renumbered 103 in 1964) and number 272 HTS272 (new in 1958). Both were withdrawn from service in 1979. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT34) Marchbanks. In addition to the Central Depot in Bell Street/Lochee Road, and Maryfield Depot in Forfar Road, Marchbanks on Harefield Road was also used for bus storage and maintenance. Buses operating from here were usually denoted by ‘N’ (Northern depot) with ‘M’ used for Maryfield. Pictured in December 1961 are Daimler CVG6s 242 FYJ782 (new 1957), 202 ETS982 (1955), CVD6 134 BTS474 (1950/51) and AEC Regal IV 21 CTS530 (1953). COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT16) Daimler Demonstrator. Having tried a front-door Leyland Atlantean in 1960 it was the turn of Dundee favourite Daimler in May 1963. Pictured is their Fleetline demonstrator with front door, rear engine and seating for 76 passengers. This trial was clearly much more successful and many Fleetlines would be bought by the Corporation over the next ten years. However the half-cab era wasn’t totally over as Tayside Region would return to them in 1975. The Fleetline era begins. Following a successful trial in May 1963, Dundee took delivery of its first 20 Daimler Fleetlines, with Alexander bodywork and seating for 78, in 1964. As a cost-saving measure these buses were painted almost totally in green with only a white rectangle left for advertisements. Pictured is Fleetline number 95 AYJ95B outside the Albert Institute and beside the clock used to stamp the time cards to demonstrate good timekeeping. Garage entrance. The Bell Street/Lochee Road Central Depot and Garage was demolished in the 1970s to make way for the city’s Inner Ring Road. Pictured are Daimler CVD6 number 4 YJ9127 which was delivered in 1947, became a driver trainer in 1965 and was transferred to the Social Work Department in 1971. Double deck AEC Regent III number 143 AYJ373 was new in 1950, withdrawn in 1970 and it too became a driver trainer until 1973. Dundee first. In 1961 Dundee was the first municipality to order ten 36-foot long AEC Reliances with the chassis built in 1962 and bodied in 1964. The engine was mounted under the floor midway down the bus and was ideal for driver-only operation. However little had changed union-wise since 1954, following the failure of the 3d bus trial, and CTS125D-CTS139D (excluding 129 and 135-138) were stored by Alexander in Falkirk before entering service in 1966. Split doors. In 1961 Dundee ordered ten 36-foot long AEC Reliances. The chassis were built in 1962, bodied in 1964 but they didn’t enter service until 1966 due to union issues with driver only buses. Pictured outside Dundee’s Albert Institute is number 30 CTS130D in the blue Tayside Regional Council livery introduced in 1975. Notice that passengers were encouraged to enter the bus using the left side of the single door as those exited the bus on the right. More fleetlines. Another twenty Daimler Fleetline double-deck buses with Alexander bodies were added to the Corporation’s fleet in 1966. This picture, taken in October 1966, shows twelve of them ready for service in former Maryfield Tram Depot. On our left is Fleetline number 44 CYJ844D and on the right number 51 CJY851D. Rear views of buses are much sought after to assist with accurate restorations. Pay the driver. In 1954 Dundee’s first experiment with a driver-only bus ended after only a few months, partly due to union crewing requirements. An order for ten single-deck buses placed in 1961 was delayed similar reasons. However pictured here in August 1968 is driver Tom Dailly taking the fare from passenger Alex McDonald showing not only the ticket machine but the slots in the driver’s door for paying the fare and, yes, collecting your change. COURTESY OF THE COURIER, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT18) AEC Swifts. After ordering AEC Reliance single-deck buses in 1961, Dundee returned to AEC for ten Alexander-bodied AEC Swifts in 1968. Seating 48 passengers this bus saw a return to a dual-door format, although this time the entrance was at the front, the exit in the centre of the bus and passengers paid the driver on entry. Seen here is Swift number 60 GYJ460G having been passed to Tayside Regional Council in 1975 and repainted blue. Daimler disasters. Looking similar to the AEC Swift, Dundee bought 25 single-deck Daimler Fleetlines in 1970. Bodied by Alexander of Falkirk, seating 46 passengers and having two doors, a two-tone green livery was adopted to highlight the fact that this was a “pay as you enter” bus. Pictured when new is Daimler 233 KTS233H. However bodywork problems led to several modifications being made and ultimately four were rebodied in 1979. High Street traffic. Before it was pedestrianised the junction of Reform Street and High Street was very busy with buses, other traffic and shoppers alike. In this view taken in August 1972 we can see a mixture of the newer front-door Daimler Fleetline buses and their older CVG6 rear-platform cousins. Whilst a lot has changed over the years it’s reassuring that the H. Samuel clock continues to not only show the time but provide a popular meeting-point as well. COURTESY OF THE COURIER, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT24) Dock Street depot. In 1972 Dundee Corporation’s purpose-built bus garage and depot opened in Dock Street. This facility replaced those in Bell Street/Lochee Road, Maryfield and, around 1980, Marchbanks. From left are Daimler CVG6s number 208 FTS212 (new 1956, withdrawn 1976) and 275 HTS275 (1958, 1979), two Daimler Fleetlines (one in driver-only two-tone green) and AEC Regent IIIs number 141 CYJ256 (1953, 1975) and 140 CYJ255 (1953, 1974). All over ads. In 1968 (FTS881-885F, GYJ486-495G) and 1969 (GYJ396-405G) another 25 Daimler Fleetlines were purchased although the introduction of some were once again delayed due to issues surrounding driver-only operation. Pictured in Blackness Road on 9 April 1973 is Fleetline 290 GYJ490G, one of the first buses to receive all-over advertising. Unlike in more recent times when printed vinyls are used, this bus was completely hand-painted. Dual door doubles. Having purchased dual door single deckers during 1968-1970, Dundee bought 41 Daimler Fleetlines with dual doors in 1973 (PYJ442-466L) and 1975 (GSL895-909N), the final Corporation buses bought. The Alexander bodywork, seating 83 passengers, had a peaked dome rather than the curved one used before. One bus from each batch has been saved by Taybus for preservation. A 1:76 scale model of PYJ442L has also been produced. PYJ461L & GSL908N ARE PART OF THE TAYBUS VEHICLE COLLECTION. Littlewoods. The bus stops in this part of Dundee’s High Street were usually referred to by their proximity to the Littlewoods store, part of the then re-built Overgate. The reclad store still exists but is now occupied by Primark. Taken in April 1974 the popularity of the single deck Daimler Fleetlines can be clearly seen although one double decker can be seen in the distance. It also appears that some of the lamp-posts are in the process of being replaced. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT09) Wrong colour. Facing a shortage of buses, Dundee bought 15 Leyland PD2/20s from Edinburgh in 1974 for delivery in 1975. However Tayside Regional Council was formed on 16 May 1975 and had taken control of the buses, changing the livery from green to blue in the process. However news of the change clearly hadn’t filtered through as four of the buses (numbers 3, 4, 13 and 15) were painted green! The front of number 14 behind can be seen in the right colours. Aberdeen blues. In addition to 15 buses bought second-hand from Edinburgh a further four Daimler CVG6s were bought from Aberdeen. Seen here is Tayside number 16 KRG230 (Aberdeen Corporation Transport 230) in the ‘new’ Tayside Regional Council livery of two-tone blue and white. The change from the Corporation’s use of varying shades of Brunswick Green certainly must have come as quite a shock to the Dundee public and still divides opinion today. All Scottish. Tayside Regional Council decided to stick with a similar body design from Alexander of Falkirk as had been used with the 1973/75 Daimler Fleetlines. However underneath was a new Volvo Ailsa chassis, which was also built in Scotland, and moved the engine from the rear to between the driver and the front door. Five such Ailsas were bought in June 1976 and pictured is number 107 LES44P when new, and without route blinds, in the High Street. Single demonstrator. In addition to new Volvo Ailsas Tayside had identified a need for some smaller buses to be added to the fleet mix. Pictured here outside the Albert Institute on trial in November 1976 is Alexander of Falkirk’s demonstrator GSA860N, a Ford A0609 with Alexander AM 27 seat bodywork. In the end Tayside bought a number of small Seddon Pennine IVs from Greater Manchester which they operated from 1977. Silver Jubilee. Clearly impressed with the five Volvo Ailsas bought in 1976, Tayside placed an order for an additional 30 which were delivered during August-November 1976. Pictured is number 126 NSP326R in a special livery for the Queen’s Silver Jubilee on 7 June 1977. This livery was also featured on Grampian and Lothian buses and all were prepared in Edinburgh. This bus is now in the care of Taybus Vintage Vehicle Society for preservation. NSP326R IS PART OF THE TAYBUS VEHICLE COLLECTION The white Bristol. In addition to the 30 Ailsas ordered in 1976, Tayside also ordered 25 Bristol VRs with Alexander bodies in a similar style to the Ailsas and Fleetlines. Unlike the Ailsas the Gardner engines were at the rear (the last five were fitted with Leyland engines). Number 199 OSR199R was badly damaged in 1980/81 and was rebuilt with the centre door removed and coach seats which proved very popular with passengers and those wanting to hire it. OSR204R IS PART OF THE TAYBUS VEHICLE COLLECTION Round the bend. Always looking at the latest developments in bus design, Tayside had a very unusual visitor in March 1978. This articulated bus by Belgian coachbuilder Van Hool, with a Volvo engine, was trialled on a number of city routes but because it was left-hand drive passengers weren’t given the opportunity to travel on it. Early examples of “bendy buses” have existed since the 1920s in Europe with the UK using them in limited numbers since the 1980s. COURTESY OF THE EVENING TELEGRAPH, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT06) Tayside in Wales. Tayside adopted the Ailsa as its main bus of choice and a further 20 were bought in 1977/78. Pictured is number 247 SSN247S which was loaned to Cardiff in April 1978 and helped promote Tayside as a holiday destination. Cardiff Bus operated the last significant number of Ailsas in service in the UK with 18 in regular service in 2007. Tayside Ailsas were used regularly by Volvo as demonstrators including at the UITP Congress in Finland. SSN248S IS PART OF THE TAYBUS VEHICLE COLLECTION Three Trainers. Tayside identified its training buses by painting them yellow. They also broke with the tradition of only using old buses by setting aside one of their new Ailsas to give drivers the chance to familiarise themselves with the bus they were likely to drive. Pictures is Bristol Lodekka 3655FG (new 1963, ex-Fife), Daimler Fleetline GYJ495G (1968) and Volvo Ailsa WTS271T (1979). GYJ495G IS PART OF THE TAYBUS VEHICLE COLLECTION British Volvo Bus. In 1979 a further 21 Volvo Ailsas were added to the Tayside fleet. The first fifteen of them were classed as Mark Is and the latter six as early Mark IIs with a higher driving position. Pictured is number 276 WTS276T which spent the first six months of its life on loan to Volvo Bus (GB) as a demonstrator. As well as travelling all over the UK, Volvo took the bus to the first Congress of the UITP in Helsinki and the bus still carries a plaque commemorating this visit. WTS276T IS PART OF THE TAYBUS VEHICLE COLLECTION MCW trials. Run in conjunction with Commercial Motor magazine Tayside ran vehicle comparison trials in 1980. Ailsa number 273 WTS273T represented the existing standard against four other buses: Ailsa 276 WTS276T (fitted with a Voith gearbox), MCW Metrobus 278 BSN878V (pictured above in 1982), Dennis Dominator 279 BSN479V and Leyland Titan 100 BCK706R. Tayside ordered a Titan (number 277) but this was cancelled by the manufacturer. WTS276T IS PART OF THE TAYBUS VEHICLE COLLECTION MCW trials. Run in conjunction with Commercial Motor magazine Tayside ran vehicle comparison trials in 1980. Ailsa number 273 WTS273T represented the existing standard against four other buses: Ailsa 276 WTS276T (fitted with a Voith gearbox), MCW Metrobus 278 BSN878V (pictured above in 1982), Dennis Dominator 279 BSN479V and Leyland Titan 100 BCK706R. Tayside ordered a Titan (number 277) but this was cancelled by the manufacturer. WTS276T IS PART OF THE TAYBUS VEHICLE COLLECTION Pint-sized JUGs. Tayside bought a number of smaller buses for use on routes with limited passenger numbers, such as the Woodside service. Following the Seddon Pennine IVs a number of ECW bodied Bristol LHS buses (pictured), seating 27 passengers, were bought from West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive in July 1980. Unusually some of these buses operated outwith the traditional city boundary and could be seen as far afield as Perthshire. Tayway. For many years Corporation buses generally operated within Dundee and Alexander (Northern) outwith it leaving Alexander unable to pick up passengers when travelling in to the city. In November 1980 a new shared Tayway service between Carnoustie, Monifieth, Broughty Ferry and Dundee was launched bringing together not only Tayside and Northern buses but local trains as well. This shared service continued until bus deregulation in 1986. PYJ461L & GSL908N ARE PART OF THE TAYBUS VEHICLE COLLECTION Restored. Tayside was keen to provide not only a full bus service but a coach hire service as well. In 1977 they purchased their first coach from Anderson of Westerhope, a four-year-old Duple Dominant Bedford YRQ number 313 OJR107M with seating for 45 passengers. A Duple Dominant bodied Ford R1014 has been restored by a Taybus member and TSL94S (ex-McLaughlan, Perth) took to the road again in 2010 in a livery similar to that of the Bedford. New coaches. Having used second-hand Bedfords to form its coach division, Tayside bought six new Leyland Leopards with Plaxton bodies, destination displays and ticket machines. 306 GSL306W and 307 GSL307W arrived in 1980 with 302-305 (KES302-305X) joining them in 1982. 306 later received registration 6689DP and the name “Glen Garry”. Withdrawn in the late 1990s, and re-registered FSL62W, it was bought by TVVS for preservation in 2004. GSL306W/FSL62W IS PART OF THE TAYBUS VEHICLE COLLECTION Dennis goes to Aberdeen. Having bought Dennis Dominator number 279 BSN479V for vehicle comparison trials in 1980, Tayside bought another five in December 1981. Bodied by East Lancashire Coachbuilders these 10 metre long buses could seat 82 passengers and were possibly unique in having this style of curved windscreens. Pictured in May 1983 is the first of the five, number 280 JSL280X, in Aberdeen’s King Street whilst on loan to Grampian Buses. Play time. A popular way to re-use out of service buses was to convert them to a playbus, offering a safe play environment for children generally from inner-city areas. Pictured around 1983 is former Dundee Corporation Daimler Fleetline bus number 298 GYJ398G which was new to the city fleet in 1969. Many of Dundee’s playbuses were re-painted at the Dock Street Depot and in one case a playbus later returned to the bus fleet for further service. GYJ495G IS PART OF THE TAYBUS VEHICLE COLLECTION Tayside’s Buses. The Transport Act of 1985 established the deregulation of local buses services across the UK except for Northern Ireland and Greater London. As a result competition could be introduced on local bus services for the first time since the 1930s. “Tayside Public Transport Company Limited” was formed in preparation for such changes and the bus livery was changed with an extended cream band replacing the white with a new “Tayside” logo. Double deck coaches. When BristolVR 199 OSR199R was damaged and rebuilt with coach seats, Tayside were surprised at just how popular it was with those wanting to hire it. As a result two Volvo B10 Citybus coach buses were added to the fleet in March 1984. Bodied by East Lancs they could seat 78 passengers. Pictured is number 90 A290TSN at Broughty Ferry library as part of the Tayway service. This bus was still in service in Bristol in 2010. Woodside coaches. After being served by ECW bodied Bristol LHS buses since July 1980, Tayside certainly must have delighted passengers when they bought four new 35 seat Leyland Tigers, bodied by Reeve Burgess, in November 1984. Pictured is number 235 B835VSR, the last of the four registered, appropriately in Woodside Crescent in March 1985. It is also interesting to have such a good view of the type of bus stop flags used by Tayside Region in the 1980s. The Wee Buses. April 1987 saw the launch of “The Wee Bus”, with four Dodge buses, numbered 201-204 D701-704EES, also given names such as “Korky The Cat” (202). Number 204 was also fitted with coach seating. The buses were led to Asda in Kirkton by open top bus Ailsa number 300 WTS272T with a piper on board! Pictured from left are Ian Murray (Alexander), Raymond Mennie (TRC Transport Committee) and Sandy Strachan (Tayside PTC). COURTESY OF THE COURIER, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT33) Tayside Greyhound. In order to consolidate their position as a successful coach operator, Tayside Public Transport Company acquired Greyhound Luxury Coaches on 13 August 1990 and named their merged division “Tayside Greyhound”. Greyhound, more formally known as TD Alexander and Sons (Scotland) Limited was founded in the 1960s and, in addition to operating a fleet of coaches, also operated a number of school contract buses across the area. Dundee 800. In 1991 Dundee celebrated its 800th birthday with a series of special events and a specially designed logo based on a 17th Century town plan. Tayside decorated Alexander bodied Ailsa mark III number 46 HSR46X in a tram livery with the stylised “Dundee” returning between the decks. This bus was new in November 1981 and had its centre exit removed in February 1990. It’s now part of the Taybus Vintage Vehicle Society collection. HSR46X IS PART OF THE TAYBUS VEHICLE COLLECTION Employee owned. On 14 June 1991 Tayside Public Transport Company was bought out by its employees and “employee owned” added above the fleet name. Pictured is Northern Counties bodied Ailsa Mark III number 52 OSN852Y which was new in April 1983 with the revised fleet name. Whilst many buses had their centre door permanently removed later in life for added safety this wasn’t done in this case and it was simply sealed up. Glasgow fire. Strathclyde lost over fifty buses in spring 1992 after a fire at their Larkfield Depot in Glasgow’s South Side. Temporary help was sought from other operators and a new “C900” fleet number series adopted for them. Pictured in Glasgow’s Victoria Road is Tayside Ailsa number 242 SSN242S, now C908, which was new in November 1977. To save time just the fronts and backs of the buses were painted in Strathclyde livery with interesting results. SSN248S IS PART OF THE TAYBUS VEHICLE COLLECTION Single low floor. On 1 August 1993 Tayside became the first bus company in Scotland to operate a low floor single decker bus. Scania MaxCi number 114 L3LOW was developed with and bodied by East Lancs and could seat 42 passengers. Pictured at Dock Street it was given fleet number 115 but this was changed to 114 before entering service (Volvo B10B demonstrator K247HKV being numbered 115). Sadly only eleven buses of this type were actually sold. Cup Winners. On Sunday 22 May 1994, the day after winning the Scottish Cup, Dundee United supporters lined the streets to welcome the victorious team back home. They travelled on unique open-top bus Ailsa 300 WTS272T which was converted by Tayside at their Maryfield depot in 1983. Named “Broughty Castle” this bus is now part of the Taybus collection and was used again when Dundee United paraded the Scottish Cup on Sunday 16 May 2010. COURTESY OF THE COURIER, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT01) Four survivors. Pictured in Maryfield are four local buses that still survive today. In front is Daimler CVG6 number 184 ETS964 (new 1955, withdrawn 1977). Next is privately-owned AEC Regent III number 137 CYJ252 (new 1953, withdrawn 1975). The penultimate bus is council-owned Daimler CVD6 number 127 AYJ379 (new 1951, withdrawn 1973). Finally it’s the more modern open-top Ailsa MkII 300 WTS272T (new 1979, withdrawn 2002). ETS964 & WTS272T ARE PART OF THE TAYBUS VEHICLE COLLECTION Bus ban. Partial pedestrianisation of Dundee’s High Street led to a confusing mix of buses and walkers plus the buses damaged the paving. It was therefore decided that all traffic would be removed and the area resurfaced again. Pictured is Ailsa Mark III number 82 A82SSP negotiating the constantly changing fenced-off areas on the High Street in 1995. The centre door on this East Lancs bodied bus was removed in April 1992 and invisibly panelled over. Route Branding. Unveiled in December 1995 was a new simple dark blue and cream livery for Tayside Buses with the light blue colour disappearing for the first time since 1975. The very basic format of the fleet name shown here was soon changed to a more eye-catching version with a greyhound leaping between ‘Tayside’ and ‘Buses’. Also introduced on Volvo Citybus 104 G104PES was branding for the popular route between Douglas and Charleston. COURTESY OF THE COURIER, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT04) Tayside’s last double deck bus and livery. Pictured in Panmure Street, near Dundee High School, in 1996 is Alexander bodied Volvo Citybus fleet number 105 G105PES, the final bus of fifteen that entered service in November 1989. Although Tayside bought more single deckers this was numerically their final double deck bus. This is also the final Tayside Buses livery and fleet name style with a greyhound leaping between the two words. All change. In February 1997 Tayside Buses was sold to UK bus group National Express. Whilst still legally known as Tayside Public Transport Company Limited a new name, Travel Dundee, would be applied to all the vehicles along with a new white, red and blue livery. Pictured at Discovery Point at the unveiling of the new Travel Dundee buses are, from left, Jack Henry (Tayside PTC), Phil White (National Express) and Dundee Lord Provost Mervyn Rolfe. COURTESY OF THE COURIER, DUNDEE (ORDER REFERENCE DMOT03) Same livery, different name. Initially, at least, the familiar Tayside Buses livery introduced in 1995 remained on many of their buses. However the fleet name was changed to Travel Dundee with a stylised ‘WM’ logo derived from the company’s Travel West Midlands heritage. Pictured in Lochee Road is Ailsa number 62 OSN862Y which entered service in May 1983 and had its centre door removed in February 1992. This bus is now part of the Taybus collection. OSN862Y IS PART OF THE TAYBUS VEHICLE COLLECTION Low floor double. In August 1993 Tayside introduced the first low floor single deck bus in Scotland. Nearly five years later Travel Dundee introduced Scotland’s first low floor, low emission, easy access bus. Pictured at Discovery Point in February 1998 is Optare Spectra number 2 R2NEG with an DAF chassis and seating for 73 passengers. Also present at this launch event was restored former Dundee Corporation bus Daimler CVG6 number 184 ETS964. ETS964 IS PART OF THE TAYBUS VEHICLE COLLECTION And finally. With its registration number hidden behind a fallen radiator cover, we return to Tayside Ailsa number 13 CSL613V which was new in February 1980. Photographed wearing an all-over livery promoting the Bus & Coach Council Scotland in April 1984 the message it carried is still as true today. We may not use them as often as we once did in the past, or feel as attached to the large national companies running them, but still “We’d all miss the bus.”